Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Product Review: Freeze Dried Mushrooms

The 5 day sale is officially over. Congrats to everyone who got their orders in on time to take advantage of those great savings. There are still plenty of other deals going on right now, and all the current prices are found in the Fall Price list, which link is available on the right hand side of this blog under "Links to help you thrive".

One of the great deals right now, especially for Platinum Q Club members, are the Freeze-dried Mushrooms. They are this month's Q-pon, and for Q members, they are only $15.37. For everyone else who places a one time order through me, they are only $18.49. (To learn more about joining the Q club, just send me an e-mail or leave a comment on this post).

Now, let me preface this by saying that personally, I hate mushrooms. So this review is not on the food itself, because in my opinion, mushrooms, whether fresh or freeze-dried, are still a fungus and I don't care for them at all. Now, that being said, some people, such as my sweet hubby, LOVE mushrooms. But poor fungus-lovin' guy never gets to eat them, because I never buy them. Sure, I could buy a pack and only put some in half the recipe, but then the rest of the pack would go bad before we got to use it. Not to mention, I would have to wash and cut the mushrooms, and given the whole fungus thing, that's never gonna happen.

I saw THRIVE had some freeze dried Mushroom Pieces, however, and sympathetically ordered a big can for my hubby. They come pre-washed and cut, and since they will last 18 months in an OPENED can, I can use as little an amount as I want without worrying the rest will go bad and I'll have wasted my money.

Now my hubby gets to enjoy his mushrooms, and I get to enjoy putting a smile on my hubby's face without having to do much at all. Here's just how little I had to do the other night.

Get a microwave-safe dish and fill it with water. Stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Scoop out desired amount of mushrooms from the can, stir them into the hot water, put the lid on, let rest for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, drain off the water and here's what you get. He could have eaten them plain like this, but during those 5 minutes, I had been caramelizing some onions, so I pulled out half of the onions for me and threw these mushrooms in with his half to saute and pick up a bit of that caramelized flavor.

Then I threw them on his burger with some Swiss cheese and A1 sauce. Just look at that picture. You can bet it made him happy. So thank you THRIVE, yet again, for bringing smiles to my home.

No comments: